Thursday, June 21, 2012
This image was produced from a lino cut. The goal of the of the project was to create a print that was a bird. In my case, I choose something that I had created in my spare time, a Sharkbird. This crazy creation originally was a stuffed animal, half cardinal, half shark. Both were cut in half and then sewed together. I chose to use Sharkbird as my subject matter because in the past I
often experimented with building sculptures out of found objects and parts of toys I had taken apart. The colours I chose for this piece where red for the
cardinal, gray for the shark, blue for the sky and white representing the lines. In the beginning I found this project quite difficult especially because I had to make ten replicas. Some other problems I had were, mixing the paint because some days I could replicate that colour and other days the paint wouldn't want to mix. Registration of each layer was also difficult. Overall I found the project challenging but fun.
My helmet is based off a helmet from Halo 3. It is used in the online portion of the game. The way I created this helmet was by printing out a net on cardstock. I had to build it piece by piece which took a very long time. The next step was to coat it with liquid resin on the outside and fiberglass resin on the inside. This made it rock hard. The last steps were to sand and paint. The additions I made to it were a visor and padding. The helmet took me about five weeks. It was a very tedious and time consuming project but completely worth it. The next thing I would like to do is coat it with Plasti Dip which is a plastic spray on coating much like something you would apply to the handle of a pair of pliers.
My self portrait images communicate how I feel, excited yet kind of
confused about what is going on in life and school. They also reveal some of my underlying and maybe not so happy thoughts, hiding away. The computer generated portrait is more of a Pop Art style with a crazy colorful trippy background. That is how I show my excitement towards life. My intense background of the painted version, shows the same message but with a different style. The style is more expressionistic. My painted version is quite similar to the computerized version through the expression on my face. Both show a serious, not amused face that reveal my hidden thoughts and problems. The falling upside down, in both images, shows my confusion and discontent.
Overall I found the project fun and beneficial. I liked the painting process more but found it all enjoyable. I think that I showed the viewer how I feel.
This piece is a sketch I had done in class. It was just concept work for the skull drawings we were doing. It is a skeleton of a monkey with the head replaced with a parrot skull. The medium is graphite. I like the detailed and precise style. The style makes it look realistic scientific diagram. Yet it is an imaginary creature like the Sharkbird. I sent it to Urban Voices and they seemed to have liked it because it is going to be published in this year’s magazine.